Monday, June 20, 2016

Basic Straight Stitches - what's the difference?


I took a few quick snaps of three basic straight stitches as I was creating Embroidery School and I thought to share them today.

Some patterns tell you which stitches to use where and others might suggest options or leave it to your imagination. Where there is a fill needed, it might say 'use a fill stitch of your choice' or with an outline 'use your favorite straight stitch'.

But what if you don't know what that is? 

Today I'm just showing three very basic straight stitches so you can see how they look. This may help you picture your choices in future.

The first photo above illustrates (from top down) back stitch, stem stitch, and running stitch. 

As you can see below, running stitch is also used to make random lines for fill in or texture, like grass.

The last photo is the back of the work.

Cross stitch and stem stitch were the two stitches I was taught first. When I learned back stitch, I switched in a flash. I love the outline back stitch gives and I reserve stem stitch for more decorative outlining and traditional or vintage patterns. 

Back stitch has a minimalist, modern look to it and is a great choice for a simple clean line. 





That's all for now. Just a quick look-see. 

If you're a beginner, I hope these basics help. If you are a more seasoned needleworker, I hope you'll send your newbies over to Embroidery School or use the lessons to teach someone. Sharing the joy of a quiet stitching session or getting together with other stitchers is such a joy and I love to share that.

No comments:

Post a Comment