Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Mirror Mirror On the Floor


It's that time of the year again! Yard sales and thrift store glut. Everyone is cleaning out their stuff - and everyone else wants to buy it.

Saturday I happened to pass a yard sale that produced some mighty sweet finds. 

I have no idea where the mirror is going. It needs a good cleaning and has no hooks, but I love the art deco wheat border.

I also picked up a few bottles for photo shoots. There was a whole box of antique bottles. I'm not sure how old Nehi soda is but the smaller one on the right was from a grocery company in Kansas City that closed in 1910.


And then there was a thrift store run on senior citizen discount day! Lots of 100% linen shirts to be de-boned and turned into reusable fabric.


But that meant I had to clean up. I spent the afternoon sorting out my hutch and folding all the fabric. The before photo isn't necessary. Just take half that fabric and wad it up into a giant mess so that it's falling out onto the floor. Yeah. It was bad.


But this is what my sewing table looks like right now. It's a bit of a mess but if you only see the cleaned up versions of sewing rooms, it's kind of a cheat, don't you think? 


My thrifting hunting list:

anything linen
embroidery hoops 
tape measures (I have a growing collection now)
vintage 100% cotton bed linens
ric rac
wool fabrics
vintage craft magazines (especially 1920s - 40s)

What do you look for when you go thrifting?

2 comments:

  1. what a great idea for linen!! I don't know why I hadn't thought of that. love your newsletter and blog. Thank you. take care and happy sewing from Iowa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody, thanks for being a reader and subscriber! Some of the best pieces of linen I have found were from women's dresses. It's very hard to find good quality thick linen and it's found mostly in dresses and slacks. The shirts are of differing weights, sometimes rather thin, but the colors are varied and rich. I can get about 2/3 of a yard of 100% linen (not in one piece obviously) for about $3.

      Delete