Sunday, July 31, 2016

Have You Started Your Christmas Making List?


It always feels so marvelous to finish a batch of work and send it off to a magazine. But you know what that means, yes? It means I'm probably making Christmas ornaments and gifts in July. And it means that while I was making them, I was probably listening to Christmas music. Okay, more to the side of definitely.

I even received photos friends playing in the snow in Tasmania and so I was inspired to make add this wool felt Christmas Pudding sewing pattern during all the making.

The ornament is 3" wide and 3" tall exclusive of the ribbon hanger. It takes just some scraps of felt, 3 beads, and either leaves or ribbon/fabric scrap bow. 

I love how the icing drips alternate in size so they look more edible and realistic.

You can get the pattern here in my Craftsy shop.

It is also available in my Etsy shop but there are no fees for sellers or shoppers on Craftsy.  Feel free to shop in either store.

One of the methods I was playing with for the magazine was embroidery that looks like faux knitting. I decided on an ornament that employs rows of chain stitch and a bit of knitting or cross stitch pattern. 



But I also discovered Ceylon stitch which looks remarkably like a knitted fabric. Using the same dark brown tweed I used for the pomander cloves, I realized it had an entirely figgy pudding look and am playing with a faux knitted Ceylon stitch Christmas pudding brooch. I'm in the process of laying down the "fabric" now.

I'll try to post a tutorial for Ceylon stitch soon. 


Another one of the magazine projects was inspired by an antique look I had used for a Christmas Stocking pattern I used to sell. I transformed it into hoop art and love it so much, I think I'll make some more styles.



I'd like to say it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas in my sewing room, mostly it looks like Armageddon. Today is clean-up day. 

And then, of course, I'll be making a merry mess all over again.

 
I'll leave you with this teaser of my felt pomanders "drying" on the windowsill.  I am not allowed to show you the whole thing yet. 

Leave a comment: What are your plans for Christmas making? Have you started buying patterns and searching tutorials online? Or do you wait for the Christmas magazine issues?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment